Today I thought it would be fun to tell you about 5 reasons I think my difference is great. As I have alluded to before, everyone’s experience with their difference is unique, so please do not interpret this as my passing judgement on anyone who feels differently.
1) I like that my difference makes me very clearly unique: People see me and they know I have a different type of story to tell, a different opinion to bring to the table. I am fortunate that the majority of my life this has served me well. I know that other people have not been this lucky.
2) The people who work for me become my friends: As I talked about in my blog post from a couple of weeks ago,I love that those who work for me quickly become my friends. We get to exchange stories about the fabulous and not-so-fabulous parts of our lives, and this makes my life incredibly rich on a daily basis.
3) My life can be hilarious: Whether it’s getting stuck in an elevator, being at war with my technology, or getting extremely creative so that I can have access to a venue, my friends and I are regularly amused by my life. We should get video cameras to follow me around every day, not because I am at all particularly awesome, but because it would make for some great laughs!
4) I learned early to celebrate all of my accomplishments. When I was at university, I used to rejoice each time I made it to an activity on time, because to me that meant that I had successfully scheduled my Personal Support Workers and taken care of the other essentials of my day in a way that allowed me to effectively navigate through my daily life. When I walked (wheeled 🙂 ) somewhere by myself I would rejoice that I made it from Point A to Point B because lack of driving (a car) makes me terrible with directions. Taking pride in all of the accomplishments in my day was something I had to learn, but I am very glad I did.
5) I get to meet people who want to start organizations like BB Squared. One thing I adore about both my life and my chosen field of study, Rehabilitation, is that there is so much room for innovation. There is always room to improve on what currently exists, and consistently new adventures to be had.
If you have a difference, why don’t you tell me 5 things you love about it (if you have them!) If you don’t have a difference, I’d still love your thoughts on this post!